Because I am a sheeple, I must also make a list of my 10 favorite songs from Hamilton. And if you haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, you really, seriously, no joke need to stop reading this and do so right this second. With that out of the way: onwards.
10. Say No to This [catchy, and perfect fall-from-grace song]
9. You'll Be Back [can't really pick between these songs by King George, but being first and having the great line about "I'll send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love" puts it over the top for me]
8. Cabinet Battle #2 [hard to pick between them, but I go with this one because of Hamilton's passion, though I do love the line "A civics lesson from a slaver. Hey neighbor / Your debts are paid cuz you don’t pay for labor" from #1]
7. Aaron Burr, Sir [dat line about tha bursar doe]
6. Non-Stop [great pump-up music]
5. Satisfied [Angelica is one of my favorite characters in the show, and this song is why]
4. It's Quiet Uptown [perfect sadness. "Forgiveness -- can you imagine?"]
3. My Shot ["A-L-E-X-A-N-D-E-R" foreva. also, the foreshadowing pun on the phrase "throwing away my shot". and of course young/scrappy/hungry.]
2. Alexander Hamilton [this one probably wins the award for being stuck in my head the most. Amazing how it packs his entire young life into a compelling rap.]
1. Wait for It [love the progression in this -- love, death, life -- and the melody and those harmonies and the message and everything]
Honorable mentions: Hurricane, Burn, Ten Duel Commandments, That Would Be Enough, Take A Break, One Last Time, The World Was Wide Enough--any of these could really have been in the top ten if I made this list on another day. I don't think any of my top 7 would get swapped out for these, but 8-10 are up for grabs.
And now if you haven't already, jump down the rabbit hole that is the genius.com annotations to the lyrics--including some by Mr. Miranda himself!
Agree? Disagree? I want to hear your list.