Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lip-reading

One time in high school, a friend of mine was trying to tell me something from across our history class. She was able to get my attention, but I had never become fluent (or anything near unto it) in lip-reading, the lingua franca of high school distance-speaking. She quickly realized I wasn't understanding, and shortened her message down to the most important word or two--still no comprehension on my part. She exaggerated the vowels, slowed it down, etc... Finally I just did an "Ohhhh! Got it!" face to get her to stop trying because it was hopeless.

That anecdote, writ large, is my life.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure whether to grin or offer a hug. I'll do both.
    *grin* :o}
    (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Merinmel--both are appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha amazing.
    although i'm brilliant at lip reading....i do it all the time in person, cuz half the time i really can't hear...and then it causes awkward situations where boys think i am coming onto them.

    ReplyDelete