Sunday, July 4, 2010

Austin's Useless Dating Law

One of the best ways to find out if someone is worth dating is to break up with them. To see how they handle such a touchy situation as telling you they think your relationship should end--or, contrariwise, how they handle being told that--says a lot about that person's true character. Sadly, you can only find out about it after breaking up (hence the 'useless' in the law's name) but on the bright side I think it can help bring closure to a relationship. If they handle the breakup badly you can at least know that they weren't the type of person you really want to be in a relationship with anyways. And if they handle it well, you can be happy that you had the chance to date a good person and learn a lot with them.

I've been fortunate to have only dated people who have handled breakups quite well, and thus made me glad to look back on our relationships; I'm not sure I can say the same about myself.

[Hopefully none of my exes read my blog, that would be kind of awkward]

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I think I picked a good day to realize that you have a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Alisha hahaha, well done madam, brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your law reminds me of the witches float theory. "Well...that one was innocent. Dang."

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jdd Ha! That pretty much exactly captures the futility of it, yes :)

    ReplyDelete