Thursday, July 2, 2009

Editorial on Homosexuality Finally Published

The BYU Daily Universe finally published my article, A Call for Compassion, about homosexuality at BYU. You can read it here. Only took them 5 months :)

I'm glad it got published, though I wish they would have waited till fall semester (or just printed it last winter like they said they would...), but they couldn't guarantee it would get published then so I just figured better now than never. Hopefully it will help out some of the students who think they're alone in being attracted to members of the same sex, and hopefully it will help increase the level of tolerance among those of us who aren't. Time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent job, Biggins. I left a comment on the article. Indeed, there is no excuse to be intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, thanks Alex. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone on the North Star forum sent this link out to the group. I facebook-stalked you to find your blog. I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to say thanks.

    A couple years ago I took a course at BYU where homosexuality came up in a discussion section of about 12 students, of which I was one. One student raised the question, "What would you do if there were someone in your ward who was homosexual?" I was dumbfounded when I heard another student respond, "Well, that's fine if he wants to be in my ward but don't expect me to shake his hand or anything. I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression." And he was being completely serious.

    I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see someone trying to promote a culture of love and understanding when it comes to this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, you're always welcome to read/comment/stalk :)

    It's true, though, about some Mormons' fear of gays. If you ever want to be disgusted, wait till RMs get to talking about what they'd do if they found out one of their mission companions liked guys. It's not all or even most Mormons who have these terrible misunderstandings, but I'm afraid we all as a community don't condemn crap like that as promptly and strongly as we should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!!!!! i was hoping they'd publish it. again, great job, austin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, did they contact you and ask, "Can we print that article now?" Or, did you just happen to be reading the DU and notice, "Hey, I wrote that!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sent it in I think in February, and they thought they could publish it winter semester, but never did (apparently because they were waiting for some homosexual issue in the news to make it "timely") so they called me Wednesday and said they wanted to publish it Thursday. I made a few small edits and they did.

    ReplyDelete