Wednesday, July 15, 2009

And it breaks my heart

The next time I go to the temple, I'm putting Anonymous on the prayer roll. It will represent both that letter writer, and all the other gay members of the church who have to remain "Anonymous" out of fear.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." -- Paul

2 comments:

  1. And maybe pray for the lady who wrote the original letter...that she'll realize she's a bigot without knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually went and talked to her in person. It was a good experience. I'm afraid she's woefully unaware of the small but omnipresent ways that gay students at BYU feel put-down (whether unintentionally or not), but she is not a bad or mean person. I also think she didn't express herself in the best way in her letter, because she comes off as more tolerant in a full conversation than she did in that letter. I tried to explain as best I could what I was trying to say, and she explained her point of view as well. We certainly don't agree on everything, but I was glad to get to know her as more than just a name attached to a letter. I think that is indeed a great idea to pray for her (as well as myself) to gain more light and understanding on this and other issues.

    As an aside, I was able to agree with her that Emily Dickinson is awesome--she's written a lot of analysis of Dickinson's poems and been to Amherst many a time. Small world!

    ReplyDelete