Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Heart Sacred Harp

I just got back from Sacred Harp singing, which a group does every second Tuesday in Provo. It is simply amazing. I hesitated to include any audio clips because they simply cannot do it justice; it's an experience. You sit in a big square and everybody sings awesome, old-timey gospel songs at the top of their lungs (no worries whether or not you have any skill, you're just supposed to shout). It's a blast. I wonder if it's just that I haven't heard these songs a million times, but I like 'em more than a lot of the LDS hymns. There's more character and excitement in them. If you're in Provo on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, I highly recommend you come by the Episcopal church on the NE corner of 200 N and 100 W at 7 pm. You won't regret it.

This first song was featured in Cold Mountain, as seen here:

That movie has an awesome soundtrack, by the by. And if you want to hear the whole song without the dialogue and idiot man syndrome, though at maybe a little worse quality, you can listen here:

im going home - sacred harp singers at liberty church

And finally, this is one of my favorite hymns in the Sacred Heart songbook. Though they're all my favorite, really.

2 comments:

  1. You know, that sounds really fun! I've already put it on my calendar to go next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's good to hear. It's almost like sharing the gospel with someone new :) I hope you enjoy it, and say hi!

    ReplyDelete