Thursday, January 8, 2009

In Honor of Aunt Janet


I just re-watched one of my favorite movies of all time, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring in honor of my Aunt Janet who just passed away this morning. She was Buddhist and my dad was talking about how peaceful she was as she got all her things in order before she died (she had a brain tumor so she's known for a while that she didn't have much time left) and he credited a lot of that to her strong faith. One of the things I love about the movie is how it shows the cyclical nature of life (and moving on to a higher plane each time around) through the lives of Buddhist monks who live on a monastery that floats in the middle of a lake. The movie is very optimistic and reassuring and peaceful and beautiful. I highly recommend it to everyone. If you want to borrow it, I'd be happy to lend it to you.

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to borrow it. Too bad I live too far away for that to be logical . . . some day I'll get my hands on that film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. biggins. i am sorry to hear about your aunt. one of my favorite professors at byu is a buddhist! i'd love to see the vid someday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michemily: I'd see if you can find it somewhere to rent then for sure!

    Brook: Which BYU prof is buddhist? Maybe I'll take a class from her/him. And come by anytime to borrow the dvd, just give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. biggins! sorry this is a long time coming....
    the prof is rick chitwood--he does all the music for anything byu related (dance, mostly) and teaches a cool drumming on african drums class...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brook, maybe I'll try to take that drumming class, it sounds sweet!

    ReplyDelete