Sunday, December 21, 2008

Random thoughts before Christmas

I saw a bald eagle swoop down onto the road and carry off a live squirrel about 30 feet ahead of the car I was driving in yesterday. No joke. It was awesome.

I don't know why I love my home ward so much, but I do. It might be because I'm not particularly good at meeting new people, so at my home ward everybody already knows me so I can just chat with anybody. Also, it just seems a bit more laid-back than my BYU ward.

I can't get Sufjan Stevens' song "Sister Winter" out of my head (it's the last video in the previous post, the one with the weird writing with hearts dotting the i's). It's... kummitav. Haunting is the English word there, I believe.

I've missed reading. For some reason, I did almost no reading this whole semester (the incessant rss feed-reading that I'm addicted to doesn't count) but during finals week I read two or three whole books ("Goodbye, I Love You", "Picasso's War", and "The da Vinci Code" in case you were wondering. I recommend the first one a ton, the second one if you're interested in art history/Picasso/the Spanish Civil War, and the last one if you enjoy terrible writing). It was great. Now I've started The Complete Calvin and Hobbes and soon Kite Runner too. I've also been reading Walden for over a year, and I'm getting close to done! [Random tangent off a random thought: I used to get in trouble in elementary school for reading books while the teacher was teaching.]

I foolishly made a New Year's resolution last year to not play Minesweeper for a whole year (I was super addicted), and then even more foolishly, I didn't break said resolution. And to top it off, I just ended up getting addicted to Freecell instead, which I kind of hate but can't stop playing. So once 2009 arrives, pretty much the first thing I'm going to do is play me a game of Minesweeper on expert. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. Isn't it kind of like a dog returning to his own vomit?

I'm off to a multi-family Christmas party where I'm giving away a spiderman ball, a Batman disc launcher I got for free out of my grandpa's box of Honey Nut Cheerios, and a $3 cd with 88 jokes on it.

Addendum: The best part of the movie The Santa Clause is how even though they crack jokes about Neal's ugly sweaters the whole movie, it's really the mom's clothes that are ridiculous.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen an eagle swipe anything from the road. Sounds fascinating.

    I also love my home ward and spent three years mourning the day I would leave it.

    As for reading, I know what you mean! I put a whole bunch of novels on hold at the library to read over the holidays and went to pick them up today. Oh wait, no checking out! Lame!

    My last comment is that I used to be addicted to Free Cell. I knew that when I was seeing and aligning cards in my head at night that it was time to move on, so I haven't played for years. Good luck.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend seeing an eagle swipe something from the road. It might even be worth it to catch a small rodent, smear it with a trout, and tie it down on the road. Though that might be considered cruel by some.

    No checking out books from the library over the holidays?!? That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete