Sunday, March 16, 2008

Delight

In Sunday School last week we read one of the scriptures where Nephi says his soul delights in x. I realized that he uses that phrase a lot and I did a little search of the scriptures to see what he delighted in, and it was quite the impressive list, I thought.


  • 2 Ne. 11: 2, 4-6

    • 2 And now I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words...
    • 4 Behold, my soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ...
    • 5 And also my soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord which he hath made to our fathers; yea, my soul delighteth in his grace, and in his justice, and power, and mercy in the great and eternal plan of deliverance from death.
    • 6 And my soul delighteth in proving unto my people that save Christ should come all men must perish.


  • 2 Ne. 25: 4-5, 13

    • 4 ... for behold, my soul delighteth in plainness unto my people, that they may learn.
    • 5 Yea, and my soul delighteth in the words of Isaiah...
    • 13 ...Wherefore, my soul delighteth to prophesy concerning [Christ], for I have seen his day, and my heart doth magnify his holy name.


  • 2 Ne. 4: 15-16

    • 15 ... For my soul delighteth in the scriptures...
    • 16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord...


  • 2 Ne. 31: 3

    • 3 For my soul delighteth in plainness...



Nephi was a pretty optimistic guy, I guess. I wish I could be so positive! Also, I found it very interesting that all of the references say "my soul delighteth..." In my scripture search, I almost included 2 Ne. 9: 49 which says "my heart delighteth in righteousness..." (emphasis mine), but then I realized that Jacob, Nephi's brother, is the one speaking in that chapter. So clearly this proves that the Book of Mormon was the product of multiple ancient authors. Q.E.D. Ok, I wouldn't put it forth as ironclad evidence, but I did think that was cool.

The point is, let's all try to find a bit more happiness in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

2 comments:

  1. I used to go to a lot of meetings, but this year has been incredibly busy. I was more involved last year when we did the Cheney protest and all.

    ReplyDelete