Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fun with online translators

Every few months I remember about these things and have some fun. Online translators that can go through multiple languages (e.g. google translate) can generate interesting stuff when you send some message through a couple of times with different languages. I took some great lines from one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, and here is the result.

Original text:

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?
I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains,
I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways,
I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests,
I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans,
I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard,
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleeding,
Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley,
I met a young woman whose body was burning,
I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow,
Then I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinking,
But I'll know my song well before I start singing,
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.


output (after multiple iterations through various tongues):
Oh, where are you, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, when I was younger self?
I bought Ido boring page 12,
I went there and gave me six - sliding on the road 8
I am in the middle of seven sad forests,
I am in front of a dozen dead sea,
I am 10,000 miles to the cemetery in the mouth,
I saw people bangeulreul hammer, bleeding,
It is a crying clown alley,
My wife is the new traffic hot
I met a young woman, but I want Rainbow
Secondly, I panic until he began sinking.
I know that the song, but before you start to sing,
This is very difficult, is a single disk, hard disk,
Come autumn rain will be difficult.


and after one more translation into Japanese and back to English there were a few more nice additions:
Oh, where are you, my son naive?
Oh, when I was younger himself?
I bought Ido boring page 12,
I was there and I was six - sliding on the road 8
I am in the middle of seven sad forests,
I am in front of a dozen dead sea,
I am 10,000 miles in the cemetery in the mouth,
I have seen people bangeulreul hammer, haemorrhage,
It is a crying clown alley,
My wife is the new Hot-transport
I met a young woman, but I want Rainbow
Secondly, I panic, it began to decline.
I know that song, but before you start to sing,
It is very difficult to have a single CD-ROM, hard disk,
Come fall, the rain will be difficult.


What can you come up with?

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorites by Robert Frost

    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

    I got a little excited. English->Spanish->English ->Arabic->English->German ->French->English->Russian->English

    Pure poetry:

    Some argue that the world at the end of the fire;
    Some say in ice.
    I tested the willingness of
    I worked with those who are concerned about the fire.
    But if you die twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    Dis, in breaking the ice
    It is also important
    Enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in the BYU Democrats? Hmm, I am...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I met a young woman, but I wanted rainbow"

    That's my favorite line. Sigh. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my favority line from the original: "I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow"

    ReplyDelete