Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gray Areas

"The devil is in the details," "God wants things to be simple," "those who aren't with me are against me," and "The way to judge is as plain, that ye may know with a perfect knowledge, as the daylight is from the dark night." People use these lines and others like them to try to draw a perfectly straight line between good and bad. Everything is black or white to them. Sure, we might not quite know every single thing yet, but with some prayer and fasting and pondering we can find out basically everything we need to know, no exceptions (except maybe really trivial things).

But what about gray areas? I know people who really believe that complexity/ambiguity/doubt (all are tied together in their minds) are all from the devil, end of argument. But I love exploring gray areas! I love the idea that there's a lot of stuff we just don't know and can't know and I actually hope that even in the eternities, despite certainly gaining insane amounts of knowledge compared to what we have here, we still don't know some things. Am I just of the devil, or what?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderment is one of my favorite words. I think doubt and uncertainty (as much as most members of the church call these bad words) are a part of life that we just need to embrace. We can't know everything right now.

    ReplyDelete