Thursday, August 16, 2007

Coming around to musicals (maybe)

I've never considered myself a fan of musicals. Even though my dad and sister are HUGE fans, I would rather pull my own fingernails out with rusty pliers than sit through Oklahoma! (don't forget the exclamation point), The Music Man, or My Fair Lady. There were a few songs that I enjoyed--I love Old Man River, especially as used in Joe Vs. the Volcano--but most of the "classical musicals" are not at all my thing. Exceptions are generally ones that I can watch, but don't really go out of my way to, e.g., West Side Story, The Sound of Music, and The Wizard of Oz, once I watched it synced with Dark Side of the Moon--an experience I highly recommend, pun intended.

But the point is, I've seen some musicals recently that have started to change my mind. Mary Poppins I enjoyed very much (yes, I saw it when I was little, but didn't remember much of it until I saw it three years ago). Fiddler on the Roof was fabulous, I loved it. A girl at BYU winter semester recommended Rent to me, and I watched it over the summer, and despite a few extremely corny lines it had a lot of good songs and a strong story. Then last week I saw Hairspray, and it was hilarious and a ton of fun. I mean, anything that has a cross-dressing John Travolta married to Christopher Walken is sure to be great, but the music was good too, all the actors had good performances and the comedy really came from all sides. And although I haven't seen it, I have the soundtrack to Wicked (thanks Diana!) and it's got some really good songs, Popular, Defying Gravity, and Wonderful being some of my favorites.

So I'm wondering if I'm starting to come around to musicals, or if it's just a few bad apples that I had thought defined the musical genre that don't turn out to actually be representative of all films in the category. I mean, Wikipedia lists Gimme Shelter as a musical, so by that definition I guess I do like musicals. Either way, I've heard good things about Singin' in the Rain, so at some point I'm going to have see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment